Thursday, July 4, 2013

Day 2: A New Day Has Dawned

Driving straight through the night always seems like a good plan...until it's about 4am and no one wants to stay awake...  But, we powered through and now it's 8:30 local time (one more time change in store) and we are about an hour and a half away from the Badlands.  It's going to be a hot one today:  96 in the Badlands so hopefully we'll be out of there before the worst of it.  Today's plan:

Badlands
Wall Drug
Custer State Park (campground)

We stopped at the scenic overlook/rest area just before the Missouri River and looked out over the old train bridge.  Got a chance to take a few pics and a quick potty break and then loaded back up to head west.  Should have a chance tonight to at least get some pics off of my camera but I'm not sure if this campground has WiFi.  Fingers crossed that I get to post some stuff.

Also a good time to mention that comments are welcome, especially if you have a tip about something to visit.

On a side note, I've been passing through Brandon-towns on my last couple of vacations; first in Florida and just this morning I noticed that we went through Brandon in Minnesota (or maybe it was Iowa but I don't think that we were in SD yet.  Just a nice reminder that this is a trip to enjoy and treasure.  Oh, and the billboard "Enjoy Life" about a half mile past the Brandon sign helped reinforce the point. :)

Lastly, I initially tried the pic of the state sign as we entered the states but then I slept through Minnesota and I was too busy snuggling an early-waking Max when we got into South Dakota so that plan has already fallen by the wayside.  Good intentions though!

No comments:

Post a Comment